Nashville Bombing

Updated ET, Sat ,

Authorities have found what they believe to be human remains near the site of the explosion in downtown Nashville on Christmas morning, according to two law enforcement officials familiar with the ongoing investigation.

The remains have been sent to the medical examiner's office for analysis.

CBS News first reported information about the possible human remains.

At least three people were injured and dozens of buildings were damaged by what authorities said was likely an intentional act.

Metro Nashville Police Department officers were responding to a call of shots fired around 5:30 a.m. CT Friday when they found a motor home parked in front of an AT&T transmission building at 166 2nd Avenue North.

A recorded message that indicated a bomb would explode in 15 minutes was heard coming from the RV, Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake said during a news conference.

Nashville Vice Mayor Jim Shulman told CNN's Anderson Cooper that a female voice was speaking in the warning message played from the RV before the explosion.

Authorities have reportedly found human remains in the area where a Friday morning explosion rocked downtown Nashville and injured three people, an event police called "an intentional act" connected to an RV that blew up at approximately 6:30 a.m. local time.

It was unclear whether the remains were related to the explosion or if they were of the perosn responsible or a victim. 

The FBI is investigating along with local officials and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the city of Nashville activated its Emergency Operations Center.

"This appears to have been an intentional act," Metro Nashville Police Department tweeted. "Law enforcement is closing downtown streets as investigation continues."

An audio warning was being broadcast before the explosion, according to videos posted online. 

"If you can hear this message, evacuate now," the warning said. 

Officers first responded to the area after receiving a report of shots fired. They called in the bomb squad after seeing the suspicious vehicle, an RV. Nashville Police Chief John Drake said that officers found the RV with a recording saying that it would explode in 15 minutes. At that point, Drake said, police began evacuating buildings in the area and the vehicle blew up soon after.

The recreational vehicle that exploded on Christmas morning in downtown Nashville’s Arts District played a warning through a loudspeaker shortly before the detonation, police said. 

Update — 5:24 P.M. EST: Authorities have found human remains near the explosion site in downtown Nashville, sources tell the Associated Press. Read Breitbart News’ full report below: 

The explosion that rocked a mostly empty street in downtown Nashville, Tennessee, early on Christmas Day seems to be both intentional and meant to limit casualties, officials say.

The bomb went off at around 6:30 a.m. on Friday in what FBI and local officials confirmed was an “intentional act,” Fox News reported.

According to authorities, gunfire was heard ahead of the bomb blast outside an AT&T building in Nashville’s downtown area between First and Second Avenues. The shots fired call came in about an hour before the blast.

Once police arrived on the scene, officers heard a loudspeaker blasting a message from a van warning, “If you can hear this, evacuate now.”

( )